Must See Masculinity City
The burnt out, boarded up buildings that line its desperate main thoroughfare, Hunter Street, would give tourists the impression that they had accidentally stumbled into a war zone. They would be half right. How Lonely Planet came to vote Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia, #9 on a global list of ‘must see’ cities for 2011 beats me, but I do love the delicious irony. I mean, surely the edge is the appeal and yet, for real, being genuinely afraid that at any moment you might be pummelled to death for looking too smart, too gay, too cocky, too anything, might be stretching the concept of ‘adventure tourism’ into incredulity. This is a bleak city, where desperation sits side by side with rage and where generation after generation of working-class males were raised on the expectation of nothing, and got it hand delivered to them, in spades. If ever hegemonic masculinity had a demon child, this is what it would look like, the pure embodiment of masculine ideals even as those ideals drive so many men into the bottle, a fist or over the cliff into the sea…
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
TOSHIBA Laptop Battery Life Warning!
Coming Soon: Big on Bullying
Having been subject to bullying and mobbing in my workplace since October 2010 and to the present, I have gained particular insight into the challenges one faces not only being a man abused but also, being a man living with a psychosocial disability, abused. Soon, I will start detailing my story and start laying out the evidence for how we can make it possible for workplaces to become safe for all. An obvious start, apart from critically analysing how it can be that a group of seemingly reasonable, qualified and experienced professionals would have quite happily bullied me to death, would be to unpack the pivotal role that violence plays in Australian society...
- More reasons to outlaw conversion therapy…
- 1:12 military has clogged arteries
- Poor white male trash seldom hang out on campus
- That’s so gay
- Don’t call me fag
- Tough men take abuse
- Mobbing, or what chooks do at work…
- All fags must die…
- In defence of bullying and other cultural merry-go-rounds…
- Soldiers suffering much for nothing much at all
Blah! Blah! Blah!
- ultimo167 on More reasons to outlaw conversion therapy…
- Mike Myers on More reasons to outlaw conversion therapy…
- Arleny on Does Child Sexual Abuse Cause Homosexuality…?
- Ant on Damned Male Suicide Lies!
- ultimo167 on Coping Strategies for Men Sexually Abused as Children…
- JAY JAY on Straight-Acting, Self-Loathing Gay Men…
- Jason in Sydney on Straight-Acting, Self-Loathing Gay Men…
- Evan on Straight-Acting, Self-Loathing Gay Men…
- Evan on Straight-Acting, Self-Loathing Gay Men…
- Robert on Coping Strategies for Men Sexually Abused as Children…
- Hagel Calls Sex Assaults In Military A ‘Scourge’ , via @nytimes nyti.ms/153y4wy 7 hours ago
- Newark Monsignor Loses Job for Failing to Stop Priest’s Work With Children, via @nytimes nyti.ms/1275MV5 7 hours ago
- Beyond tears...a revolutionary play looks at the trauma of AIDS smh.com.au/entertainment/… 7 hours ago
- Public sector better for gay students: Kirby smh.com.au/national/-2n3m… 7 hours ago
- End 'cruel' smoking ban, says health campaigner - social control of the mentally unwell out of control in Australia smh.com.au/national/-2n3r… 7 hours ago
- This Could Be the Most Haunting Statistic You’ll Ever See zite.to/10qjUFR via @zite 13 hours ago
- TED Weekends breaks the silence for suicide survivors zite.to/13TmnWC via @zite 13 hours ago
- Certain chronic pain may raise suicide risk zite.to/13Tmkdq via @zite 13 hours ago
- Masculinity in crisis? 'There is a battle going on inside us that is never discussed' zite.to/13Tm2TY via @zite 13 hours ago
- Is Masculinity in Crisis? zite.to/13Tm0LF via @zite 13 hours ago
- Gay marriage: the political knot it's impossible to untie zite.to/13TkkC4 via @zite 13 hours ago
- Frigide Barjot: The French anti-gay marriage leader under attack...pause to laugh loudly at the irony zite.to/12DGjNP via @zite 13 hours ago
- Bill would require mental health checkup every 6 months for deployed troops zite.to/13RKbdo via @zite 13 hours ago
- Why a Great Therapist Probably Beats a Great Antidepressant zite.to/13TiwsO via @zite 13 hours ago
- Catholic Church Whistle-Blowers Join Forces on Abuse zite.to/13TilgT via @zite 13 hours ago
- Why Hearing Voices Is No Problem for Some zite.to/16VUSSS via @zite 13 hours ago
- “Hello Health, I’m Depression zite.to/13Ti8u9 via @zite 13 hours ago
- Congressman: Women Should Be Forced To Give Birth To Fetuses With No Brain Function thkpr.gs/10X3dRV via @thinkprogress 1 day ago
- Horace Mann Apologizes for Abuse but Won’t Start New Inquiry , via @nytimes nyti.ms/18cWt7e 1 day ago
- Psychiatric Tsunami: 1 in 5 Children Now Have a Mental Disorder zite.to/10S8JkT via @zite 1 day ago
SUPPORT BROKEN RITES!
BROKEN RITES fearlessly and tirelessly advocate to bring priests and other clergy who have abused children to typically long-overdue justice.
Broken Rites also provides an invaluable source of current and historical information on clergy child abuse cases that have been resolved or which remain in progress.
Please consider supporting Broken Rites...
- Straight-Acting, Self-Loathing Gay Men...
- Does Child Sexual Abuse Cause Homosexuality...?
- Cheating Men Love Their Girlfriends More...
- Women Love Men like Concrete...
- Coping Strategies for Men Sexually Abused as Children...
- Testosterone Made Me Gay...!
- Men Without Dicks
- Healthy Men Bottle Up Their Emotions...
- Men Who Bully Women
- Dutch Men Need Bigger Condoms...
- 105,317 hits
- January 2013
- December 2012
- October 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- October 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010