More Femininity Equals Less Deviant Men…
Nofziger, S. (2010). A Gendered Perspective on the Relationship Between Self-Control and Deviance Feminist Criminology, 5 (1), 29-50 DOI: 10.1177/1557085109353892
We can ponder why it is that men are so grossly over-represented in criminal activity and other such acts of social deviance (or protest, depending on your politics). In her research study of 263 university students in the US, Nofziger (2010) found that self-control and femininity had links to deviance, but masculinity did not (p.45). Self-control, contrary to what the biological determinists would have us believe, is according to Nofziger, not a product of sex but instead, gender identity. Thus, it may not be true that men are just born that way. That is, bent. Crime prevention might be as straightforward as teaching boys and men to get a grip, if not also to share their emotions and other such traits that we ordinarily associate with femininity. All of which leaves me feeling a little bit confused, since I had long believed that self-control was a benchmark cultural ideal of masculinity. Men are supposed to hold it together but I can see, men are also supposed to lose it. Therefore, we need to pay more attention to how gender identity influences the actual performance of self-control.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
TOSHIBA Laptop Battery Life Warning!
Coming Soon: Big on Bullying
Having been subject to bullying and mobbing in my workplace since October 2010 and to the present, I have gained particular insight into the challenges one faces not only being a man abused but also, being a man living with a psychosocial disability, abused. Soon, I will start detailing my story and start laying out the evidence for how we can make it possible for workplaces to become safe for all. An obvious start, apart from critically analysing how it can be that a group of seemingly reasonable, qualified and experienced professionals would have quite happily bullied me to death, would be to unpack the pivotal role that violence plays in Australian society...
- More reasons to outlaw conversion therapy…
- 1:12 military has clogged arteries
- Poor white male trash seldom hang out on campus
- That’s so gay
- Don’t call me fag
- Tough men take abuse
- Mobbing, or what chooks do at work…
- All fags must die…
- In defence of bullying and other cultural merry-go-rounds…
- Soldiers suffering much for nothing much at all
Blah! Blah! Blah!
- ultimo167 on More reasons to outlaw conversion therapy…
- Mike Myers on More reasons to outlaw conversion therapy…
- Arleny on Does Child Sexual Abuse Cause Homosexuality…?
- Ant on Damned Male Suicide Lies!
- ultimo167 on Coping Strategies for Men Sexually Abused as Children…
- JAY JAY on Straight-Acting, Self-Loathing Gay Men…
- Jason in Sydney on Straight-Acting, Self-Loathing Gay Men…
- Evan on Straight-Acting, Self-Loathing Gay Men…
- Evan on Straight-Acting, Self-Loathing Gay Men…
- Robert on Coping Strategies for Men Sexually Abused as Children…
- The killer office smh.com.au/lifestyle/-2jq… 16 hours ago
- British House Of Commons Passes Marriage Bill By Huge Margin zite.to/10LABqF via @zite...hurry up Australia! 21 hours ago
- Suicide Can Be Contagious Among Teens zite.to/10LAdIJ via @zite 21 hours ago
- Reasons for Pride 2013: Gay Parents Are Changing the World zite.to/10LA9sA via @zite 21 hours ago
- Finally – legal proof that disability benefits test is unfair for people with mental illness zite.to/10LzXth via @zite 21 hours ago
- The Origins of Anxiety zite.to/18hGVww via @zite 21 hours ago
- Homophobe kills himself in Notre Dame Cathedral, to which I say good riddance to vile rubbish!!! smh.com.au/world/vile-law… 1 day ago
- Wong accuses Christian group of gay 'bigotry' smh.com.au/opinion/politi… via @smh 1 day ago
- Disrupted ‘brain clock’ is linked to depression in new study zite.to/10idwgd via @zite 1 day ago
- When Good Things Happen To Bad People: Disturbing News About Workplace Bullies zite.to/10idl4A via @zite 1 day ago
- '80% of UAE couples divorce within a year' zite.to/10id8hQ via @zite 1 day ago
- Australian Christian Lobby shocker: 'Gay sex could be taught in schools' zite.to/10icYXN via @zite 1 day ago
- The masculinity debate: no wonder men stay out of it via @zite 1 day ago
- Labour MP Diane Abbott: ‘Crisis of masculinity is leading to the normalisation of homophobia’ zite.to/12J7loI via @zite 1 day ago
- WATCH: United Nations Pose A Riddle to End Homophobia zite.to/13xFRTW via @zite 1 day ago
- Homophobia: One-In-Four LGBT People Victim of Violence or Threats in the Last Five Years zite.to/12J7aJV via @zite 1 day ago
- Op-Ed: Are Black People More Homophobic Than White People? zite.to/16zoRR3 via @zite 1 day ago
- Pity the poor homophobe; or, the curse of homophobia denialism via @zite 1 day ago
- A pledge to play my part in stopping gay conversion therapy zite.to/13EztqC via @zite 1 day ago
- Crowds break up gay rights rallies in Georgia, Russia zite.to/13EzsmI via @zite 1 day ago
SUPPORT BROKEN RITES!
BROKEN RITES fearlessly and tirelessly advocate to bring priests and other clergy who have abused children to typically long-overdue justice.
Broken Rites also provides an invaluable source of current and historical information on clergy child abuse cases that have been resolved or which remain in progress.
Please consider supporting Broken Rites...
- Straight-Acting, Self-Loathing Gay Men...
- Does Child Sexual Abuse Cause Homosexuality...?
- Fuck Off Racist Homos!
- Dutch Men Need Bigger Condoms...
- Cheating Men Love Their Girlfriends More...
- Coping Strategies for Men Sexually Abused as Children...
- Men Who Have Sex with Men (MSM), But What About MSW...?
- Rejected Men Become Abusive...
- Are Gay Men More Abusive than Straight Men?
- Healthy Men Bottle Up Their Emotions...
- 105,181 hits
- January 2013
- December 2012
- October 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- October 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010