Del Giudice M, Booth T, & Irwing P (2012). The distance between Mars and venus: measuring global sex differences in personality. PloS one, 7 (1) PMID: 22238596
Where I live in Sydney City is fast becoming the young pewf capital of the world, which is something of a mixed blessing for an ageing queen like me but also, sets the stage for a fascinating social experiment. Hyper-masculine muscled guys who can usually only be confirmed as gay by partners attached, parade tank-topped in even the coldest weather around the local Coles Supermarket. Sometimes they leave their pampered pets, poodles or pit bulls, lassoed out the front and sometimes they momentarily give away, through high pitched laughter or spirit fingers or a pre-drenching of Euro cologne, symbols of pewf personality traits long since consigned to history. Just to mix things up further, at any time of the day or night, cute young straight Asian couples wearing designer pyjamas can saunter in to stock up on Western goodies…
I suppose I want to believe what Hyde (2005) claimed is true, that is, that there are only minor psychological differences between category ‘male’ and category ‘female’ (2012, n. pag.). Why is that? Well, for one, I have spent the past 150 years studying men and masculinity and from those observations I have come to realise that claims which split men and women far and wide purely on the basis of sex are wholly factitious. Oh sure, it makes for great pulp fiction and dud training courses and totally lame government policy but in reality, it has no legs. What we think is demonstrable proof of men behaving like men should is always a $2 postcard for a tome far more complex – which is why this article by del Giudice et al. (2012) made me smile.
The authors are so god-damn awfully brash about being able to squeeze an elephant into a thimble. For example, they conclude that divorce-ability can be reduced to ‘neuroticism, low conscientiousness, and (to a smaller extent) low agreeableness’ (2012, n.pag.). Indeed, it is this squeezing of particular personality traits into either of the two categories available that both proves those allegedly robust sex-based differences but also exposes substantial methodological flaws in said attribution. Women do seem to be warmer and more caring, men more dominant and risk taking, women more interested in the aesthetic and men, the logic (2012). The clustering of specific personality traits according to sex does thus lend itself to that phenomenon being called natural.
Yes, women could be from Venus and men, from Mars…
However, as any good sociologist knows, while a raft of sex-based personality differences clearly exists, the aetiology of those differences is not natural in a biological sense. Conversely, we learn from the year dot that we are expected to think and behave in certain ways according to our sex. That at times some of us do just that, in more or less degree, gives phoney creed to the evolutionary foundations of those personality traits (2012). Separating out which causes what to whom is a problematic given passing mention by the authors before they quickly move on to announce their own expansive set of ‘guidelines for the accurate quantification of sex differences in personality’, guidelines that emphasise measurement ‘at the level of narrow traits’ (2012).
What del Giudice et al. (2012) fail to grasp is that comparing men and women according to factors like…
- emotional stability,
- dominance and
- liveliness from, in this case, self-reports, tells us little more than that is how those men and women thought that they should respond to the questions asked at that particular point in time.
It reveals nothing about how each of those participants came to think that way nor does it reveal if they always think that way but most significantly, I would argue, it does not reveal if that is the way those participants practice or perform those personality traits, from one situation to the next. When bleating on about the need for accurate methodology and ‘accurate empirical data’ (2012), the irony is that the authors here seem so blissfully unaware of the shortcomings of their own research.
I would suggest that the critical gap in knowledge about this subject area is not to quantify the existence of sex-based personality traits but instead, to explore those discrete settings in which men and women conform to or deviate from social expectations of how they should behave. For example, anyone who subverts the commonly-held assumption that men bottle up their emotions, immediately raises important research questions like, what enabled that behaviour, was it against type, were there consequences for so behaving and would the subject do it again? Now that is a far more enlightening endeavour than trying to squeeze men and women and their grab bags of personality traits into pre-defined, sex-based pigeon holes!
Not born or made but a choice to be that way…
TOSHIBA Laptop Battery Life Warning!
Coming Soon: Big on Bullying
Having been subject to bullying and mobbing in my workplace since October 2010 and to the present, I have gained particular insight into the challenges one faces not only being a man abused but also, being a man living with a psychosocial disability, abused. Soon, I will start detailing my story and start laying out the evidence for how we can make it possible for workplaces to become safe for all. An obvious start, apart from critically analysing how it can be that a group of seemingly reasonable, qualified and experienced professionals would have quite happily bullied me to death, would be to unpack the pivotal role that violence plays in Australian society...
- More reasons to outlaw conversion therapy…
- 1:12 military has clogged arteries
- Poor white male trash seldom hang out on campus
- That’s so gay
- Don’t call me fag
- Tough men take abuse
- Mobbing, or what chooks do at work…
- All fags must die…
- In defence of bullying and other cultural merry-go-rounds…
- Soldiers suffering much for nothing much at all
Blah! Blah! Blah!
- ultimo167 on More reasons to outlaw conversion therapy…
- Mike Myers on More reasons to outlaw conversion therapy…
- Arleny on Does Child Sexual Abuse Cause Homosexuality…?
- Ant on Damned Male Suicide Lies!
- ultimo167 on Coping Strategies for Men Sexually Abused as Children…
- JAY JAY on Straight-Acting, Self-Loathing Gay Men…
- Jason in Sydney on Straight-Acting, Self-Loathing Gay Men…
- Evan on Straight-Acting, Self-Loathing Gay Men…
- Evan on Straight-Acting, Self-Loathing Gay Men…
- Robert on Coping Strategies for Men Sexually Abused as Children…
- Dealing with Bipolar Stigma and Prejudice in the Workplace zite.to/10q2olc via @zite 13 minutes ago
- GOP Congressman: God Wants the Poor to Starve zite.to/133Ib34 via @zite 13 minutes ago
- The Link Between Marriage Rates and Suicide Is Questionable zite.to/10q2gC0 via @zite 14 minutes ago
- Obama ‘Welcomes’ Boy Scouts Decision But Says Leadership Should Be Open To Gays Too zite.to/ZjcDZU via @zite 14 minutes ago
- New blood restrictions still discriminate against gay men, advocates say zite.to/1agauxA via @zite 16 minutes ago
- How racist Australia murders Indigenous men...Hollow promises: an enduring tragedy smh.com.au/national/-2k6n… 1 hour ago
- The Search for Mental Illness and Addiction in the Brain, Part II: Why Are the Human Psyche and Behavior S… zite.to/14GK5bv via @zite 10 hours ago
- Women 40% more likely than men to develop mental illness, study finds zite.to/12MnidF via @zite 11 hours ago
- K hole swallows black dog...'Club Drug’ Ketamine Lifts Depression in Hours zite.to/10MBqPX via @zite 11 hours ago
- US church blames Woolwich terror killing on UK acceptance of gay people zite.to/14GJfeR via @zite 11 hours ago
- No, LGBT People Are Not Richer Than Straights zite.to/188G6IC via @zite 11 hours ago
- What Is the Endgame of the Anti-Gay Movement? zite.to/10qFuGO via @zite 11 hours ago
- Watch: Homosexuality Is ‘Abomination In The Sight Of God’ Says GOP’s Jackson zite.to/14GIUcf via @zite 11 hours ago
- Dutch gay ex-lawmaker urges Japan to promote LGBT rights zite.to/14GIL8x via @zite 11 hours ago
- Ukrainian Court Cancels Gay Pride March zite.to/18bd7UP via @zite 11 hours ago
- Hate must run through the family...Northern Ireland minister Ian Paisley Jnr calls gay people repulsive zite.to/10nZ6i9 via @zite 11 hours ago
- Disease kills mentally ill people in Australia earlier than general population: study zite.to/18aIEGo via @zite 11 hours ago
- Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered zite.to/18bcFG1 via @zite 11 hours ago
- Aboriginal deaths in custody numbers rise sharply over past five years zite.to/14FYW5Z via @zite 11 hours ago
- US scouting movement lifts 22-year ban on gay members zite.to/18bcniq via @zite 11 hours ago
SUPPORT BROKEN RITES!
BROKEN RITES fearlessly and tirelessly advocate to bring priests and other clergy who have abused children to typically long-overdue justice.
Broken Rites also provides an invaluable source of current and historical information on clergy child abuse cases that have been resolved or which remain in progress.
Please consider supporting Broken Rites...
- Straight-Acting, Self-Loathing Gay Men...
- Does Child Sexual Abuse Cause Homosexuality...?
- Men Without Dicks
- Cheating Men Love Their Girlfriends More...
- Psychological Flexibility Improves Your Health and Well-Being...
- Men Who Bully Women
- Healthy Men Bottle Up Their Emotions...
- Coping Strategies for Men Sexually Abused as Children...
- Men Who Can't Stop Hitting People...
- Are Gay Men More Abusive than Straight Men?
- 105,253 hits
- January 2013
- December 2012
- October 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- October 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010